The Narajole Raj was a medieval royal dynasty and later a zamindari (estate) during the British period at Narajole In Pashchim Medinipur District in the state of West Bengal. The Raja Of Narajole Was one Of The largest landholders in Midnapore.
Common Languages Benagli,Hindi
(1400-1800) Princely Estate (1800-1947)
- 1400 -1423 Raja Uday Narayan Ghosh(first)
- 1926-1949 Raja Debendra Lal Khan(last)
- Established 1400 A.D
- Acceded To India 1949 A.D
Currency Indian Rupee
Dominion of India
Today part of West Bengl,Republic of India
Raja Narendra Lal Khan Of Narajole
Raja Debendra Lal Khan Of Narajole
According to Binoy Ghosh, Narajole’s ruling Clan,Belonging To the Sadgop(Yadava) Community, Was Founded by Uday Narayan Ghosh.His Great grandson,Raja Kartickram,was honoured with the title ‘ROY’ by the Mughal emperor. The family used the title tillin the eight generation, when Raja Balwant was honoured with the ‘Khan’ title for some praise-worthy achievement.Thereafter,they used that title.
Raja Ajit Singh,the last King of the Midnapore zamindari,with its headquarters at Karnagarh, died childless in 1749.They were close to the rulers of Narajole. His two queens,who inherited the Midnapore zamindari,ran into great difficulties during the Cuar Rebellion and sought the support of Raja Trilochan Khan of Narajole.After Raja Trilochan Khan’s death the responsibility of Looking after the Midnapore zamindari and Rani Shiromani of Karnagarh (The other queen Had died by then) fell successively on Raja Motiram and Raja Sitaram.Rani Shiromani loved Sitaram’s eldest,Anandalal,as her own son and Handed over the entire Midnapore zamindari to him in 1800. Unfortunately Anandalal died childless and as Per his wishes his brothers became the Owners- Nandalal Khan of Narajole zamindari and Mohanlal Khan Of Midnapore Rajbari.
Narajole’s Rajbari or Garh Narajole,was spread over 500 Bighas and Divided In to the inner and outer segments. TheOuter segment housed the poorer people, amongst whom were some painter families who had survived the travails of life and in 1970 continued to produce dolls painted pots and decorative wall plates. The inner segment was an indrapuri (the palace of heaven) consisting of splendid buildings (Including the three-storeyed palace) temples,gardense etc. The Large entrance gate lead to spacious garden,with a temple of the family deity,Sitaramjiu.The drawing rooms were filled with selected country made and foreign showpieces and pictures of te royalty. on the way out one again got to see a mix a gardens, ponds and residential quarters with some Shiva temples nearby. There were many other temples. on the southern side were rangmahal,rasmacha and dolmancha.
The Hawa Mahal (Ballroom) is spread over 60 bigha land,surrounded by a parikha.Lankagarh,about a kilometer from main Rajbari houses fifty four temples. A 10-Bigha plot was donated for a degree college.
- Nations Of Nationhood in Bengal Perspective samaj 1867 – 1905
- The Narajole Rajbari to Carve out niche on Heritage Turism
- 15th Century rajbari my Find Place On the Heritage Tourism Map Timesofindia.com
- The Genealogical History Of India
- History Of Midnapore part 2
Hadal Narayanpur (Zamindari)